The Camarena Health (CH) Optometrist cares for patients in the
community clinic setting. The Optometrist will be responsible for
examining patients, diagnosing eye and vision problems, testing
patients’ depth and color perception, and testing patients’ ability
to coordinate and focus their eyes. The Optometrist will also
prescribe contact lenses and glasses, and diagnose eye problems
within the optometrist’s scope. This provider will refer to
supportive care as needed and appropriately, and interacts
positively with other members of the CH Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities: Health Care Services: 1. Examine
eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents, to
determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and
to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities within the scope of
2. Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.
3. Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses
and other vision aids.
4. Prescribe medications to treat eye diseases if state laws
5. Remove foreign bodies from the eye.
6. Chart documentation according to clinic standards using
Electronic Health Record charting, specific forms documentation,
referrals and ordering specific tests. Documentation of acute and
chronic problems, including medication as needed.
7. Follow-up on specific disease categories and no show
8. Review laboratory, x-ray and referral documents prior to
9. Health Education coordination for patient follow-up for
specific health education issues.
10. Refer to approved medical protocols and/or guidelines for
Consultation and Referrals:
1. Consultations with Medical Director for problems beyond
standardized procedures. Consult physicians as needed.
2. Referrals to other providers as needed including Health
Education referrals as indicated per protocols.
1. Participate in clinician peer review process.
2. Participate in CQI: Quality Improvement Meetings and
discussions as requested.
3. Interact with and maintain referral resources.
4. Will refer to support services (when appropriate) for
counseling and education.
5. Is responsible for providing in-put to Chief Medical Officer
for resource development, staff, facility, equipment, supplies,
6. Meeting attendance at monthly General Staff Meeting and
Monthly Departmental Clinician Meeting.
7. Efficient productivity levels according to health center
Graduation from an accredited Optometry Program
Must maintain current CPR/BLS certification
Interest in and willingness to promote individual acute, chronic
and preventable care programs and concepts.
Ability to establish a genuine positive interaction with
patients and staff
Agrees with and upholds the mission of the health center with
patients and staff
This health center receives HHS funding and has federal Public
Health Service deemed status with respect to certain health or
health-related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for
itself and its covered individuals.